Henry Ford Trade School was opened October twenty fifth, nineteen hundred sixteen, with six boys and one instructor. In 1931 the enrollment rose to 2800, with 135 instructors. The time for students was divided between the school shop and the classroom where customary high school subjects were studied.
The school was organized to give needy boys an opportunity to help support themselves and to retain their interest in education. To accomplish the first purpose, each boy was awarded a cash scholarship which was paid to him regularly.
INCORPORATION AND EQUIPMENT
Incorporated under a Michigan statute, the school was operated as a non-profit enterprise. It had a floor space of about three acres set apart for its exclusive use. All the equipment in the class and shop departments was the best.....
Release Date: January 20, 2015
The Henry Ford Trade School Alumni Association has donated $750,000 to create an endowed scholarship fund for undergraduate mechanical engineering students at Lawrence Technological University.
The donation is among the top 10 largest gifts ever received by the University to establish an endowed scholarship, and the largest for scholarships from an organization. Interest income from the endowment will provide need-based scholarship assistance to recipients.
From alums of Henry Ford Trade School, an investment Editorial in The Detroit News, February 25, 2015 America can learn a lesson from these retirees. It has been more than 60 years since the last students graduated from the Henry Ford Trade School, and the school’s remaining alumni are now in their 80s and 90s. But we should all pay attention to what they have to say about the value of education.
- This article lists recent updates on hftsaa.org.
- Detroit automakers and higher education: The Henry Ford Trade School and General Motors Institute
Interesting article in Hemmings Classic Car Blog
- Historic Newsletters
Old HFTSAA Newsletters from the Archives
- Remembering HFTS Video
Special Video about the Henry Ford Trade School (Available for purchase from Ideal Video Transfer LLC)
1925 – 2011
Umberto passed away November 24, 2011. He graduated from the Trade School, in the January Class ’43.
Umberto served with the 20th Army Air Force in the South Pacific in WWII. He joined the Alumni Association in 1977.
Umberto was buried in National Memorial Cemetery Of Arizona Section D10 Row A Site 52, 23029 North Cave Creek Road, Phoenix, Az